Writing a simple python web app

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Sat Sep 11 15:40:37 MDT 2010

I'm creating a very simple web application, and I want to use python. My first guess was that mod_python would provide the easiest entry point. Boy, was I wrong. All the mod_python tutorials spend 80% of their time extolling the virtues of mod_python over CGI, but they are quite lean on specific examples. It's quite disappointing. A natural progression then leads me to mod_wsgi, and since that has equally poor documentation, to Django. However, Django is overkill for my app (I don't even have a database).

What I want is something as simple as PHP. Just let me drop my files in and start editing. I don't want to have to add some configuration directive to httpd.conf for every new file or directory in my web app. I really want to use python for this. I'd be open to alternatives, like PHP, but PHP's YAML support is junk (tried several libraries already, and they all fail to correctly parse the YAML that some other python code produces).

What do you recommend?

--Dave

P.S. Let's please not turn this into a PHP vs. Python discussion and certainly not a discussion on YAML.