Who stole my VMs

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sun Oct 31 18:44:14 MDT 2010

I just upgraded my desktop from Ubunto 10.4 ("good buddy") to Ubuntu
10.10 ("Malicious Meerkat"??). Now, when I fire up the virtual machine
manager, I see a connection. What I don't see are any of the VMs. All
the VMs use qemu.

I found the following in the release notes:

  Previous libvirt versions would probe a qemu disk to determine its
  format and did not require that the format be declared in the XML.
  This is considered a security problem in most deployments and newer
  versions of libvirt will default to the 'raw' format when the format
  is not specified in the XML. As a result, non-raw disks without a
  specified disk format will no longer be available in existing virtual
  machines. The libvirt-migrate-qemu-disks tool is provided to aid in
  transitioning virtual machine definitions to the new required format.
  In essence, it will check all domains for affected virtual machines,
  probe the affected disks and update the domain definition
  accordingly. This command will be run automatically on upgrade. For
  new virtual machines using non-raw images, the disk format must be
  specified in the domain XML provided to libvirt, otherwise the disk
  will not be available to the virtual machine. See man 1
  libvirt-migrate-qemu-disks for details. Users who require the old
  behavior can adjust the 'allow_disk_format_probing' option
  in /etc/libvirt/qemu.conf.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes

So:

  root at dzur:~# libvirt-migrate-qemu-disks -a
  Waiting up to 10 seconds for libvirtd to start...
  Waiting up to 30 seconds for libvirtd to respond to requests...
  Checking domains defined in /etc/libvirt/qemu...
  migrate_vm "amanda1" is not responding. Aborting
  migrate_vm "bare.metal" is not responding. Aborting
etc...

Well, of course it isn't responding. I haven't fired it up. And why
have I not fired it up? Because it's not available in the menu for me
to fire it up. Doh!

Suggestions?