third party repos for centos

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Fri Oct 29 13:23:01 MDT 2010

On Fri, October 29, 2010 12:48, Victor Villa wrote:
> So, in a dev environment,  I followed the instructions listed here
> http://rob.olmos.name/?p=68%20? to get nginx + php 5.3 + apc on a centos 5.5
> box.  It's working and everything is fine.
>
> I'm looking for best pratices though on what to do if you do add third party
> repos, and what not to do.

These are my "musts" for mutli-repo yum boxen like CentOS:
* yum-protectbase (this protects you from some wild repo hosing your system)
* yum-priorities (which repo wins if there are conflicts).

Also, for some installations, I choose to always set third party repos to
disabled, then specifically enable them as needed. yum
--enablerepo=repoidglob. Keeping the number of third-party repos to a minimum
is highly recommended. Finally, I always test things on a dev system or VM
before installing third party repos on any production system.

Things I ask myself before adding a third party repo:
* Do I trust whoever put this together?
* Do I believe they know how to keep their repo system secure?
* Do I really need this repo, or is there another way to install what I need?
* What happens if this repo never gets updated, or goes away, or breaks?
* How well is the software tested that goes in to this repo?

You get the idea, enjoy.
-Ryan