Writing a simple python web app

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:03:31 MDT 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I'm creating a very simple web application, and I want to use python. My first guess was that mod_python would provide the easiest entry point. Boy, was I wrong. All the mod_python tutorials spend 80% of their time extolling the virtues of mod_python over CGI, but they are quite lean on specific examples. It's quite disappointing. A natural progression then leads me to mod_wsgi, and since that has equally poor documentation, to Django. However, Django is overkill for my app (I don't even have a database).

For something as simple as you have described, and to run on an
embedded platform, I would probably stay away from frameworks designed
to run on full hardware, and go with something more minimalistic.

Take a look at CherryPy [1] or web.py [2].

[1] http://www.cherrypy.org/
[2] http://webpy.org/

Roberto Mello