advice on inexpensive machine

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 23 21:01:52 MDT 2010

--- On Sat, 10/23/10, Brett Rasmussen <brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com> wrote:
> All,
> I'm looking for a low-cost way of getting a box for use as a
> server for my home.  It will be used primarily for content
> filtering but will also perform other miscellaneous tasks,
> probably including a firewall for the network.
>
> It will go on a shelf in a linen closet, so I'm hoping to
> find a small form factor, like one of those shoebox or
> mac-mini sized cases if possible, although that's not a hard
> requirement.
>
> If anyone has some box that's a few years old that they're not
> using, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
>
> Otherwise, does anyone have any recommendations for something
> like this? I'm open to whatever it might be, including a
> content filtering appliance if economical or one of those
> wall-wart computers or whatever.  What have you guys used?

I've been very happy with the Fit-PC (http://www.fit-pc.com/).
Note that mine's the old version 1, which you can't get anymore,
but the current ones look pretty good, too.  For a firewall I'd
go with the 2i (so as to get the second network port).

They're not the least expensive machines around, but the small
size and the ~5W power consumption make them really nice for
applications like this.