advice on inexpensive machine

Brett Rasmussen brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
Sat Oct 23 15:53:28 MDT 2010

All,
I'm looking for a low-cost way of getting a box for use as a server for my
home.  It will be used primarily for content filtering but will also perform
other miscellaneous tasks, probably including a firewall for the network.

It will go on a shelf in a linen closet, so I'm hoping to find a small form
factor, like one of those shoebox or mac-mini sized cases if possible,
although that's not a hard requirement.

If anyone has some box that's a few years old that they're not using, I'd be
interested in hearing about it.

Otherwise, does anyone have any recommendations for something like this? I'm
open to whatever it might be, including a content filtering appliance if
economical or one of those wall-wart computers or whatever.  What have you
guys used?

Thanks,
Brett