External NAS to samba

Derek Carter goozbach at friocorte.com
Mon Oct 18 14:05:29 MDT 2010

On 10/18/10 3:56 PM, Doran L. Barton wrote:
> Not long ago, Derek Carter (aka goozbach) proclaimed...
>> You need a Coraid storage device. It fits everything but #4 and still
>> matches the "Please don't suggest NetApp or EMC - way way too expensive"
>> criteria as well.
>>
>> Take a look at this:
>> http://www.coraid.com/products/sr821_8_disk_etherdrive_storage_appliance
>>
>> seriously, these boxes are built for this purpose.
>
> I completely and wholeheartedly concur with Derek here. CORAID's AoE stuff
> rocks. It's not the easiest thing to set up, but once it's set up, it just
> work and works and works.

"Not the easiest thing to set up"?

Coraid's storage is *VASTLY* easier to setup than a comparable EMC or
Isilon or the like.  As a matter of fact, we recently had a contest at
our booth at VMworld to see who could setup a san from unconfigured to
storing files on a filesystem.  The winner took a grand total of 6 seconds.

Yes *SIX* seconds.

The only hard part seems to be understanding that this is a *SAN*
technology, so it does best on it's own physical Ethernet segment.

</fanboi>

--
Derek Carter
aka goozbach