External NAS to samba

Derek Carter (aka goozbach) goozbach at friocorte.com
Sun Oct 17 10:51:52 MDT 2010

On 10/15/2010 01:02 PM, Merrill Oveson wrote:
> Plug:
>
> Looking for suggestions for the following....
>
> I need to extend the disk space of my samba server.
>
> So I'm thinking external hard disks via eSATA.
>
> Here's what I'd like:
>
> External Box:
> 1) capacity to add drives
> 2) built in hardware Raid 5
> 3) hot swappable disks
> 4) eSATA connection
>
> anybody know of anything of there like this?
>
> I'd could even live without options 1 and 3.
>
> Please don't suggest NetApp or EMC - way way too expensive.

<shameless plug type="goozbach's employer">
You need a Coraid storage device. It fits everything but #4 and still
matches the "Please don't suggest NetApp or EMC - way way too expensive"
criteria as well.

Take a look at this:
http://www.coraid.com/products/sr821_8_disk_etherdrive_storage_appliance

seriously, these boxes are built for this purpose.

</shameless plug>

--
Derek Carter
aka goozbach