What Is Your Favorite Terminal Setup?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 19:19:00 MDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 03:29 PM, Corey Edwards wrote:
> The reason I first used socat was that it has the ability to pipe
> to/from unix sockets. AFAIK netcat doesn't do that.

And indeed the first attempt I tried with tmux was using socat to
redirect the unix socket itself that tmux clients and servers use.
However, that didn't work since the tmux server and client have to share
things somehow (can't remember the details; the developers said it
wasn't possible, which was unfortunate).  That's when I realized socat
could create a pty and tunnel that, and then I just had to run the tmux
client locally, with the socat-created pty as its pty.