Philosophic Noodling (was Re: Internet Health)

Eric Wald eswald at brainshell.org
Sat Oct 9 18:30:22 MDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, Levi Pearson wrote:
> On a related note, Hawking has apparently given up the search for a
> unifying "theory of everything" that describes the real fundamental
> "stuff" that everything is made of.  He instead favors the idea that
> the ultimate theory is actually a set of theories that only apply in
> certain circumstances.  He compares this to the way that a given
> Mercator projection of the globe is only accurate within a certain
> range, and looking at different parts of the globe accurately requires
> using different projections.

Only if you insist on using a two-dimensional surface; a full globe can
be much more accurate.  That implies that there is a TOE, but it might
remain beyond our ability to formulate or understand from within the
limitations of too few dimensions.

I would hope that at least the mathematics can be worked out, though.

- Eric