What Is Your Favorite Terminal Setup?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 15:26:57 MDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 16:58 +0000, edfelt at gmail.com wrote:
>> It has always confused me why the default bash editing mode is emacs
>> while the default system text editor is always vi.
>
> Like many parts of Unix, vi is the default editor because of inspired
> design many years ago.

Bah!  It's well known that vi is an abomination.  It may have been
default on wicked Linux distributions, but the standard UNIX text
editor has always been ED!

http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg

> Sadly, vim is no longer default editor on all Linux systems. Ubuntu has
> strayed from the path of righteousness, choosing to inflict nano on its
> users by default.

Now you've added corruption to corruption.  Although vi is an
abomination, at least it was an abomination created by an Elder Unix
Guru and is inextricably tied to it.  But now you bring in vim, which
wasn't even originally a UNIX editor at all!  It was written by some
dude for that froofy Amiga machine.  Not only that, but it strays even
further from the One True Editor, ED!

> Both emacs and bash are GNU projects. As such, the bash developers were
> either pressured or brainwashed into using emacs bindings by default.

Nah, they were just following convention.  I believe tcsh and ksh both
significantly predate bash, and they both have emacs and vi command
line editing modes.  The default in tcsh (derived from the same csh
source code that Bill Joy, author of vi, wrote!) is the emacs
keybindings.

        --Levi