What Is Your Favorite Terminal Setup?

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Sat Oct 9 12:24:27 MDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-09 at 16:58 +0000, edfelt at gmail.com wrote:
> It has always confused me why the default bash editing mode is emacs
> while the default system text editor is always vi.

Like many parts of Unix, vi is the default editor because of inspired
design many years ago.

Sadly, vim is no longer default editor on all Linux systems. Ubuntu has
strayed from the path of righteousness, choosing to inflict nano on its
users by default.

Both emacs and bash are GNU projects. As such, the bash developers were
either pressured or brainwashed into using emacs bindings by default.