What Is Your Favorite Terminal Setup?

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 20:48:43 MDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Jonathan Duncan
<jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:

> On 08 Oct 2010, at 17:38, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>
>> You can do that with emacs, and then have all of emacs functionality
>> on top of it.
>> I know several people that live inside emacs very comfortably.
>>

> Wow, you know all of the 3 individuals that use emacs?  Impressive.

Hey, there are way more than 3 of us.  We've just given up trying to
convert die-hard vim guys, and we're content to happily and
productively key-chord without much fanfare.  You never need to get
bored as an emacs user, because there's always another mode or tool to
learn about.  And if you're sufficiently motivated, you can make it
work however you like.

Personally, I typically use whatever terminal happens to be native to
the platform I'm using, as long as it's not absolutely terrible (like
the Windows terminal window that cmd.exe pops up in, in which case I
use MinTTY from cygwin).    If I'm on Windows, I'll use putty to get a
command prompt on a remote Linux machine.  In OS X, I just use
Terminal.  I mostly use gnome-terminal in Linux, though I use whatever
the default xfce terminal is when I'm using one of my minimal media
computer installs.

On my home server, I generally have screen running with a few default
screens up.  I have the escape character set to ^Z, since I don't
suspend things very often and ^A is a terrible choice considering it's
the code to jump to the beginning of the line in the default bash
keymap, not to mention emacs.  I have emacs up in several screens, one
of which runs gnus for email and newsgroups, one of which runs erc for
irc chats, and one of which runs org-mode to keep track of to-do
items, project outlines, brainstorming, etc.  I don't generally use
emacs as a terminal itself, though it's got a couple of modes for it
depending on whether you need a full terminal emulator or just
line-mode interaction with a shell.

I rarely use screen for work on my local machine, though.  I generally
have a mix of terminals and emacs windows open depending on my needs
at the moment, spread out and sized so that as much relevant
information as possible is visible at any time and it's easy to switch
between them.  The emacs windows generally all belong to the same
emacs session, so I can subdivide them and swap the buffers they're
displaying as necessary for whatever I'm doing.

Of course, this is just my particular way of doing things, which I've
developed because I can use it more or less unchanged on any desktop
computer platform I need to, and I often have to use several in the
course of a day's work.  The most critical customization for me is
remapping the Capslock key to Ctrl. :)

        --Levi