What Is Your Favorite Terminal Setup?

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 16:59:56 MDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 15:35, Ryan Simpkins <plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:
> I've been wondering though, are there other terminal emulators out there worth
> looking at? I chose gnome-terminal because it was there and seemed to work.
> There have been occasions where it has frozen up on me. The background options
> are adequate, but I wish there were more things to tweak. Basically, I love
> having lots of things to twiddle, switch, mash, and mix.
>
> So the question to the group is, what cool and amazing terminal emulators and
> terminal tricks do you use?

I use Terminator[1]. It allows for grid-based subdividing of your
terminal window, which I like so I can see stuff side-by-side or
top-bottom. Then, if I want I can launch screen sessions from each
sub-window. So I usually have one sub-window permanently living in
gdb, one permanently living in my source directory, and a couple
others that scramble around.

Terminator is quite configurable, and has lots of things to tweak and
tinker with, which was another plus for me, too.

[1]: http://www.tenshu.net/terminator

--
Alex Esplin