Linux DHCP options (PXE) without IP

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Oct 6 14:57:56 MDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Eric Olsen <falconv at gmail.com> wrote:
> All Linux PXE tutorials I've found so-far instruct to modify DHCP to include
> the PXE options. That makes sense, I've done that before, but at home I am
> using a not-so-robust DHCP (built into my router) which unfortunately
> doesn't give me much control over the DHCP options.

Yes, it is certainly possible.  Just configure your DHCP server w/o a
range statement, and don't include a fixed-address in any host
declarations.

Rudimentary example:
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  filename "pxelinux.0";
  next-server 192.168.1.3;
  host picture-frame { hardware ethernet 00:00:00:00:00:00; }
}

This kind of configuration will ignore DHCPDISCOVER requests.  Those
will be handled by your router.  Then, the client should send an
additional DHCPINFORM request, in which your new server will return
these other options.

--lonnie