Linux DHCP options (PXE) without IP

Eric Olsen falconv at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:34:30 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have other ways I can do this that are fine, but out of curiosity I wanted
to investigate this path:
At home I'm interested in setting up a PXE boot server to make it easier to
set up my laptops that otherwise would have to be plugged into the docking
station to have a DVD ROM to boot from (which is hard to do with the one I
modified to be in a picture frame ;) ). I'm familiar with a Windows PXE
server because I support it at work, which will respond to PXE Client
requests with the PXE DHCP options only, and let DHCP assign the IP. I don't
have a Windows server at home, so I'm looking at setting up a Linux PXE
server.

All Linux PXE tutorials I've found so-far instruct to modify DHCP to include
the PXE options. That makes sense, I've done that before, but at home I am
using a not-so-robust DHCP (built into my router) which unfortunately
doesn't give me much control over the DHCP options.

As I said, I have other ways to do this, i could turn off DHCP on the router
and set it up on my server, but I'm curious if this would be possible. I'd
like to set up DHCP on my server, but configure it to ONLY give the PXE
options to PXE clients, and allow the router's DHCP to assign the IP.

In the end, it's probably not the best way and I may just end up setting up
the server to have DHCP and do it all, but for the fun of it I wanted to see
if this were possible.

Thanks,
Eric