kubuntu + ati radeon X1650

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Oct 6 09:36:27 MDT 2010

<quote name="Von Fugal" date="Tue,  5 Oct 2010 at 15:59 -0600">
> <quote name="Charles Curley" date="Tue,  5 Oct 2010 at 11:42 -0600">
> > Having no xorg.conf is not unusual with recent versions of X; they'd
> > like to get rid of it entirely.
>
> There's also a conf dir you can add stuff to. Xorg now searches in
> /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (which, at least in red hat, is where packages
> write configuration) and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (which should not be
> clobbered by packages). If you ask me, that sounds backwards. Shouldn't
> /usr be a place where you put user stuff? Anyway, just create a file
> called "dualhead.conf" in the /etc/... directory with your options and
> you should be good to go.

Very strange, I didn't see it until I rebooted, but apparently when I
put a file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ it prevents any of the other configs
from /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ from ever running, and thus it renders
everything *but* my touchpad (for which I made the config) useless.
Can't even log in or switch to a VT because the keyboard is dead.
Instead I put my new file in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and now it works
just fine. Bug? Feature? Who knows.

Von Fugal
--
Government is a disease that masquerades as its own cure
-- Robert Lefevre