Philosophic Noodling (was Re: Internet Health)

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Oct 6 07:49:55 MDT 2010

On 10/06/2010 07:35 AM, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 12:26 AM, Levi Pearson wrote:
>> Did I say it was a spatial dimension?  No.  I said it was as real as
>> the spatial dimensions, which clearly implies that it is not itself a
>> spatial dimension.
>
> Just as long as no one goes around calling it the "fourth dimension"
> which it clearly is not.

When people refer to time as a 4th spatial dimension, I think of a cube
that is 1 meter x 1 meter x 1 meter x 10 years.  Then I try to mentally
rotate that cube so that its "height" is 10 years instead of 1 meter,
making its duration 1 meter instead of 10 years.  I don't know how to
make sense of that. :-)

Shane