kubuntu + ati radeon X1650

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Tue Oct 5 16:10:09 MDT 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010, Von Fugal wrote:

> Xorg now searches in /usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (which, at least in red
> hat, is where packages write configuration) and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> (which should not be clobbered by packages). If you ask me, that sounds
> backwards. Shouldn't /usr be a place where you put user stuff?

Heh. What a can of worms that question is. Trying to understand the use of
/usr vs. /etc based on the words "user" vs. "et cetera" rather than simple
historical precedent won't work very well.

I don't know where "user" comes from, except maybe that /usr gets userland
programs (as opposed to the kernel).

Jon

--
Jon Jensen