kubuntu + ati radeon X1650

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Oct 5 11:42:17 MDT 2010

On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:01:55 -0600
Brett Rasmussen <brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com> wrote:

> All,
> My machine at work uses an ATI Radeon X1650 series, and I'm running it
> dual-headedly.

"dual-headedly", now that's a new word. :-)

> I'm on Kubuntu 10.04, and to set up the dual-monitor
> support, I go into the KDE4 System Settings and "Display > Size &
> Orientation".  It sees both monitors, and I'm able to set up the
> monitors' resolution and position (dvi-1 to the right of dv1-0).
> This all works just fine, except that it provides no option to save
> the config out to xorg.conf.  So I have to go through this same
> dual-monitor setup each time I reboot the machine or restart the X
> server.  As a matter of fact, there's no xorg.conf file at all, which
> further confuses me.

Having no xorg.conf is not unusual with recent versions of X; they'd
like to get rid of it entirely.

If all else fails, "man xrandr".

> I'm using the open-source radeon driver that comes from the ubuntu
> package repository.  I tried switching over to the fglrx driver but
> when I tried to open up the fglrx config tool, ATI Catalyst or
> something like that, it gave me an error saying I wasn't actually
> using the fglrx driver.  I've read a few things out there suggesting
> that the latest version of fglrx dropped support for my card, so I'm
> assuming that's why it didn't recognize it.

That is quite possible. As cards age, ATI stops supporting them and
they open up the hardware so the open source radeon driver can use them
effectively. Both my laptop and desktop use the radeon driver with no
problems.

> Any suggestions on how to get my X config saved?

If you also have gnome on your system, "gnome-display-properties",
which is in the gnome-control-center package.

If all else fails, "man xrandr".