kubuntu + ati radeon X1650

Byron Clark byron at theclarkfamily.name
Tue Oct 5 11:17:40 MDT 2010

On 10/05/10 at 11:01am, Brett Rasmussen wrote:
> My machine at work uses an ATI Radeon X1650 series, and I'm running it
> dual-headedly.  I'm on Kubuntu 10.04, and to set up the dual-monitor
> support, I go into the KDE4 System Settings and "Display > Size &
> Orientation".  It sees both monitors, and I'm able to set up the monitors'
> resolution and position (dvi-1 to the right of dv1-0).  This all works just
> fine, except that it provides no option to save the config out to
> xorg.conf.  So I have to go through this same dual-monitor setup each time I
> reboot the machine or restart the X server.  As a matter of fact, there's no
> xorg.conf file at all, which further confuses me.

The magic term you're looking for is randr (or xrandr).  Here's a guide
to how it all works with some information about storing a default xrandr
configuration in xorg.conf:
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12.

As for the missing xorg.conf, that's a feature.  You'll only have to
create one if X isn't properly detecting everything for you, and, even
then, you'll only have to add the sections you need.  One of those cases
where you have to create an xorg.conf is to change the default xrandr
configuration.

--
Byron Clark