kubuntu + ati radeon X1650

Brett Rasmussen brett.rasmussen at twoedge.com
Tue Oct 5 11:01:55 MDT 2010

All,
My machine at work uses an ATI Radeon X1650 series, and I'm running it
dual-headedly.  I'm on Kubuntu 10.04, and to set up the dual-monitor
support, I go into the KDE4 System Settings and "Display > Size &
Orientation".  It sees both monitors, and I'm able to set up the monitors'
resolution and position (dvi-1 to the right of dv1-0).  This all works just
fine, except that it provides no option to save the config out to
xorg.conf.  So I have to go through this same dual-monitor setup each time I
reboot the machine or restart the X server.  As a matter of fact, there's no
xorg.conf file at all, which further confuses me.

I'm using the open-source radeon driver that comes from the ubuntu package
repository.  I tried switching over to the fglrx driver but when I tried to
open up the fglrx config tool, ATI Catalyst or something like that, it gave
me an error saying I wasn't actually using the fglrx driver.  I've read a
few things out there suggesting that the latest version of fglrx dropped
support for my card, so I'm assuming that's why it didn't recognize it.

Any suggestions on how to get my X config saved?

Thanks,
Brett