Getting VGA out of an HDMI port on a ION netbook.

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 16:12:04 MST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-Male-Cable/dp/B001OLCHJ6
>
> As one review states, it obviously won't work without support built into
> the device.  In another site a review states that the cable worked fine
> for them.  Interesting.  This cable is intended to go from HDMI to VGA;
> there are other cables that go the other way--VGA to HDMI cables require
> special video card support obviously.
>
> NVidia says the ION directly supports HDMI, Displayport, and VGA,
> simultaneously (well any two).  Not sure what that means in the context
> of the HDMI port on the laptop.

Most ION devices I'm aware of have both a VGA and HDMI port.  With the
non-standard nature of putting VGA signals over an HDMI cable, I doubt
any device that would support such a thing would come without the
cable to do it.

> >From a netbook pov, though, does the ION chipset have full support in
> Linux for power management, sleep, etc?  I run a myth frontend with a
> little Revo, but I've never tried to sleep it before.

I couldn't tell you, but it sounds like you have an easy way to find out.

        --Levi