Getting VGA out of an HDMI port on a ION netbook.

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:48:59 MST 2010

On 11/24/2010 03:24 PM, Levi Pearson wrote:
> I don't know how a HDMI-to-VGA cable would work without doing a
> digital->analog conversion, as there are no analog signal pins in a
> HDMI connector.  Maybe someone has just come up with a really cheap
> converter chip, or there are some highly non-standard devices that
> switch to a mode that runs analog signals over the HDMI pins, but I
> think your chances of getting a cheap (sub-$50) cable to work are
> pretty darn slim.

The cable is actually about $10. Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-VGA-HD15-Male-Cable/dp/B001OLCHJ6

As one review states, it obviously won't work without support built into
the device.  In another site a review states that the cable worked fine
for them.  Interesting.  This cable is intended to go from HDMI to VGA;
there are other cables that go the other way--VGA to HDMI cables require
special video card support obviously.

NVidia says the ION directly supports HDMI, Displayport, and VGA,
simultaneously (well any two).  Not sure what that means in the context
of the HDMI port on the laptop.

> If you want to do slideshows over a projector, a USB video card or a
> HDFury-type converter might be your best bet, but they'll definitely
> be more expensive than a sub-$50 cable.

Yeah, that is a possibility.  Given the netbook is about $330, anything
more than $10 isn't really worth it.

> I don't have any personal experience, but I think Linux supports ION
> fine, as it's a popular platform for HD MythTV frontends.

>From a netbook pov, though, does the ION chipset have full support in
Linux for power management, sleep, etc?  I run a myth frontend with a
little Revo, but I've never tried to sleep it before.