Getting VGA out of an HDMI port on a ION netbook.

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 15:24:14 MST 2010

I don't know how a HDMI-to-VGA cable would work without doing a
digital->analog conversion, as there are no analog signal pins in a
HDMI connector.  Maybe someone has just come up with a really cheap
converter chip, or there are some highly non-standard devices that
switch to a mode that runs analog signals over the HDMI pins, but I
think your chances of getting a cheap (sub-$50) cable to work are
pretty darn slim.

If you want to do slideshows over a projector, a USB video card or a
HDFury-type converter might be your best bet, but they'll definitely
be more expensive than a sub-$50 cable.

I don't have any personal experience, but I think Linux supports ION
fine, as it's a popular platform for HD MythTV frontends.

        --Levi