Internet

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Nov 12 16:58:13 MST 2010

On 11/12/2010 01:21 PM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 13:03 -0700, Von Fugal wrote:
>> Oh, I don't know, because they PROVIDE the SERVICE??
>>
>> If you don't like what they block, then pay someone else, like XMission.
>
> You know, it's really too bad the electric companies weren't more
> forward thinking. They should have fought for the right to approve what
> type of appliances could be plugged into the electric grid. Just think
> how much progress we could have made as a society! Perhaps even flying
> cars and teleportation. But because they didn't see what was coming, now
> all I have is a crappy dishwasher, high def tv, and a mac book.

Precisely. I only see this debate getting more heated as IPv6 (finally!)
gets rolled out. ARIN guidelines require ISPs to assign no smaller than
a /64 (one subnet) to a user, and recommend they hand out as much as a
/48 (65k subnets). The possibilities of what to do with those are endless.

> Oh well, I guess it give me more time to live in a the fantasy world in
> my head where government regulation makes competition possible.

Government regulation clearly has a role, but just as clearly as it can
have negative effects. It's all about striking the right balance.

Corey