Internet

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Nov 12 12:29:44 MST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Steven Alligood wrote:

>> It's not necessarily or even very often true that allowing serving HTTP
>> or any other server traffic costs an ISP more. It depends on the
>> traffic levels for the connection as a whole.
>
> Of course it's true.  Many or most people that run their own webserver
> are also the ones that run Skype, Torrents, etc.

Are you serious? Skype is used extensively by the non-server crowd. Most
people I know doing P2P are also not in the server-running crowd.

> Add to that the ones that run http are also the ones often compromised
> (either web, mail, etc) and send out lots of spam, virii, botnets, etc,
> and those same users become a large cost to the ISP in terms of
> bandwidth, abuse, company image, etc.

That doesn't match what I know either. Most botnets are of normal naive
home users' Windows machines, and function just fine without any open
server ports. ISPs don't seem too worried about bad publicity, because
they haven't done much to shut down the huge number of botnets on normal
residential cable & DSL lines in the U.S.

I'd be interested to see any reports of servers run at home being bad
neighbors on the network compared to the average Windows machine.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation