Internet

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Fri Nov 12 12:19:20 MST 2010

On 11/12/10 12:15 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Steven Alligood wrote:
>
>> Quite frankly, I am surprised that most home Internet services still
>> allow this kind of behavior, since it costs them more money than you are
>> paying them.
> It's not necessarily or even very often true that allowing serving HTTP or
> any other server traffic costs an ISP more. It depends on the traffic
> levels for the connection as a whole.

Of course it's true.  Many or most people that run their own webserver
are also the ones that run Skype, Torrents, etc.  Add to that the ones
that run http are also the ones often compromised (either web, mail,
etc) and send out lots of spam, virii, botnets, etc, and those same
users become a large cost to the ISP in terms of bandwidth, abuse,
company image, etc.