Internet

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Fri Nov 12 12:15:22 MST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Steven Alligood wrote:

> Quite frankly, I am surprised that most home Internet services still
> allow this kind of behavior, since it costs them more money than you are
> paying them.

It's not necessarily or even very often true that allowing serving HTTP or
any other server traffic costs an ISP more. It depends on the traffic
levels for the connection as a whole.

A connection sitting idle most of the day with occasional outgoing web
service costs the ISP far less than another connection running gaming,
Skype, and streaming video all the time.

ISPs know that "unlimited" bandwidth is a marketing message that sells,
but we'd mostly be better off we more transparency: leave the traffic
unmolested but charge based on the amount of traffic, probably in traffic
tiers to keep billing simple.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen