Internet

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Fri Nov 12 12:03:03 MST 2010

On 11/12/10 11:05 AM, Andrew McNabb wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:55:26AM -0700, Steven Alligood wrote:
>> And yes, I assume that every internet provider out there is after
>> their own best interests, and that eventually, ALL ports for
>> consumer CLIENT services will be blocked.
> Are you trying to push me off of the fence with respect to network
> neutrality? :)  I've been wondering whether legislation is really
> necessary, and every time I hear a statement like this, it makes me a
> little more in favor of regulation.

not at all.  Simply pointing out that business needs drive businesses.

Quite frankly, I am surprised that most home Internet services still
allow this kind of behavior, since it costs them more money than you are
paying them.

The only reason is that the average user pays for more than they
receive.  Sooner or later the companies will figure out that they make
more profit by restricting these kinds of behaviors.  At that point, you
will get slightly more expensive ISPs that provide this niche service,
and the free market will continue to function.

And no, I am not trying to start any kind of economical, political, or
sociological debate.