Internet

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Fri Nov 12 10:55:26 MST 2010

On 11/12/10 10:35 AM, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 09:26 -0700, Steven Alligood wrote:
>> Sounds like the guy was an idiot, and (1) trusted salesmen about
>> technical issues, (2) tried to use an obvious client service for server
>> purposes, and most important (3) didn't read the ToS before signing up.
> Oh come off it.
>
> Sure, caveat emptor. But if you went to a car dealer and he gave you
> coherent, reasonable answers when you asked about mechanical details
> like the psi range of the brakes, do you really think it's necessary to
> also ask "Oh, by the way, are the brake lights wired correctly?"
>
> If XMPP, IRC&  SMTP are allowed, isn't it reasonable to assume HTTP will
> be allowed?

No, it isn't.  You should never assume anything in a legal contract,
especially if that something is important to you.

And yes, if you want to be sure the car's brake lights work correctly,
don't ask the salesman, whose job is to make you buy anything that he
makes a commission on, but take it to an independent mechanic who has
your interests at heart.

And yes, I assume that every internet provider out there is after their
own best interests, and that eventually, ALL ports for consumer CLIENT
services will be blocked.  Don't assume that just because they allow
something today that they will still allow it tomorrow. (That's the part
of the contract where they can change anything at anytime without
notice, and your only recourse is to stop paying them)