Sendmail Config

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Thu Nov 11 16:50:15 MST 2010

On Monday 08 November 2010, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 04:13 PM, Jon Jensen wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Nov 2010, Jacob Albretsen wrote:
> >> I was always taught that the RIGHT way to configure sendmail was to
> >> install sendmail-cf and configure it via the sendmail.mc / submit.mc
> >> files and then generate the .cf files.  A lot of what I'm reading online
> >> tells me to edit sendmail.cf / submit.cf files directly to make
> >> configuration changes.  This would imply not installing sendmail-cf
> >>
> >> So this got me to rethinking what I was taught.  Which is the right /
> >> most correct way and why?
> >
> > I've done it both ways, and if you can, I would recommend using
> > sendmail-cf and editing the mc files only. The .cf files should be
> > treated as binary output if possible.
>
> Agreed.  The mc files are somewhat more human-readable, and easier to
> version control.  Plus the syntax of cf files is not exactly easy to
> understand and I always worry about breaking something.  At least with
> the mc file, if it compiles I know I haven't made any syntax errors.  I
> think most sendmail admins would agree that you should modify the mc file.

Thanks for the feedback.  As I've read through the docs and what others have
done, I've found I'm having to see their edits in the .cf files, and then figure
out the .mc syntax.  Although this has not been terribly difficult to do.

Of course, the other big clue to using .mc files is the huge DO NOT EDIT THIS
FILE message near the top of the sendmail.cf file.  Go figure.

--
Jacob Albretsen
jakea at xmission.com
http://blog.knine.net/