Learning to Program

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:36:52 MST 2010

On 11/08/2010 05:18 PM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:

> That is a good list, which also reminds me that I was going to pick
> one to put my eight year old on.  Probably one that I also have not
> learned yet so that we can learn it together.  Lisp could be fun to
> look at again, I have always wanted to get more into TCL, Ruby sounds
> interesting.  Any suggestions for a very first language for a child?
> Maybe I will just drop C on him.

When I was very young (single digits) I learned Logo.  It was fun
because it was so interactive.  Logo may yet still be useful for a
learning language.  Python even has a turtle you can import that brings
some logo-like functionality to python.  Certainly Python isn't that
hard for kids either (google snake wrangling for kids).

Basically any language that has simple I/O (ie print and input of some
kind, no java-style object stuff), I think kids could really get into.
QuickBASIC was quite ideal for this back in the day because the IDE was
quite nice for the day and very interactive.