scripting languages

Aaron Toponce aaron.toponce at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:12:19 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 09:23:24AM -0700, Victor Villa wrote:
> As I learn Bash i'm finding more and more that knowledge of a scripting
> language is needed, though i'm seeing some talk about PERL and some talk
> Python.
>
> If my work environment really hasn't taken advantage of a scripting language
> (nothing predefined), which should I choose?  PERL or Python?

This is quite the thread, and I'm sure I'm not going to add anything new
to the discussion. However, I figured I'd weigh in my 2¢ on the matter.

For scripting, I try to keep everything in the standard Bourne shell as
much as possible, as we have Solaris, RHEL and HPUX that we need to
worry about. Keeping our shell scripts as portable as possible has
become important to us.

However, for shell scripting where portability isn't a concern, such as
my own personal scripts for various tasks, I usually prefer ZSH. I like
the floating point arithmetic, associative arrays and other features it
provides to the scripting environment.

When shell scripts aren't the right answer, I've been most familiar with
Python over the years, so I lean that direction. The rest of my team
isn't terribly familiar with Perl or Python, so it doesn't really matter
there. We do have Python installed where it matters, so portability can
still be met when needed.

Anyway, there you have it.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .