Sendmail Config

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Mon Nov 8 16:10:43 MST 2010

PLUG,

I'm currently configuring sendmail servers to some specs I've been
given (RHEL).

I was always taught that the RIGHT way to configure sendmail was to
install sendmail-cf and configure it via the sendmail.mc / submit.mc
files and then generate the .cf files.  A lot of what I'm reading
online tells me to edit sendmail.cf / submit.cf files directly to make
configuration changes.  This would imply not installing sendmail-cf

So this got me to rethinking what I was taught.  Which is the right /
most correct way and why?

Discuss.

P.S. Using Postfix is not an option.