scripting languages

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:04:15 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Charles Curley
<charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:17:13 -0700
> Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so he has already been "mentally mutilated beyond hope of
>> regeneration," as Dijkstra put it.
>
> I believe Dijkstra was talking about BASIC <shudder /> when he said
> that. I don't think anyone has so far recommended that abomination to
> Mr. Villa.

Yes, he was, but the sentiment was similar, and I'm sure he would have
been horrified by Perl and PHP if he ever looked at them.  Probably
Python and Ruby, too, for that matter.  He wanted people to
mathematically model their problems and produce provably correct
programs for solving them, which is not really a supported development
model for any current language useful to a sysadmin.

        --Levi