scripting languages

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:00:46 MST 2010

On 11/08/2010 12:50 PM, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 12:17:13 -0700
> Levi Pearson <levipearson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so he has already been "mentally mutilated beyond hope of
>> regeneration," as Dijkstra put it.
>
> I believe Dijkstra was talking about BASIC <shudder /> when he said
> that. I don't think anyone has so far recommended that abomination to
> Mr. Villa.

Of course it's not for shell scripting, but modern BASIC isn't that bad.
 BASIC hasn't had goto or line numbers in about 25 or more years now.
VB sucked for reasons other than the language itself.  Probably still
does.  Just for kicks I installed FreeBASIC a year or two ago and got
many of my old QuickBASIC programs ported and compiled on Linux.  Pretty
interesting.   If it weren't for Python and the expressive power of
dynamic languages, I would probably still be using FreeBASIC instead of
C for general software development.  There are a few folks using
FreeBASIC for developing Gnome apps, just as there are some FreePascal
folks out there.  FreeBASIC doesn't yet have any OOP constructs in the
language, so it's mostly comparable in functionality to C and Pascal.
It's just as structured as Pascal, but slightly less verbose.

I definitely would have no qualms about teaching a child to program in
FreeBASIC or even FreePascal, and later have them learn C or Java.  Then
again, Python would be an even better choice for teaching.