scripting languages

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:52:23 MST 2010

On 11/08/2010 09:53 AM, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> While I don't do a lot of CLI scripting, I've written a few in PHP
> and it worked just fine. Would you share some details of your
> experience and why you would recommend against it?

I have several things against PHP for system programming
- PHP is rarely installed on a server that's not a web server
- PHP as a language has some issues (readability, etc)
- The #! plus <?php was just weird, and led to issues when you wanted to
refactor code into its own file and include it into another file.
- no real 3rd-party libraries (unless you compile them in)

PHP did a decent job for what I needed it for.  Built-in LDAP support
was nice.  But in the end I just grew tired of it and found that a
language such as python worked a lot better for 99% of things.

Almost all servers have Perl and Python, and easy access to 3rd party
libraries.  Perl has CPAN and Python has a lot of eggs and
setuputils-based modules.  Also in standard OS repositories (well on
RHEL anyway) you can find just about any Perl or Python thing you need
for the basic tasks.