scripting languages

Derek Carter goozbach at friocorte.com
Mon Nov 8 12:49:06 MST 2010

On 11/8/10 2:29 PM, Eric Wald wrote:
> I second this.  If Bash is sufficient, then let it do the job.  It's
> particularly well-suited to string commands together, farming the real
> work to find, xargs, grep, cut, sort, and sed.  I occasionally use make

Bash is my *FAVORITE* chainsaw. That being said, if you're going to use
Bash. You should put a couple of guards in place so you don't easily cut
off your leg.

Might I suggest using the bash Stringent mode[1]. It sets a bunch of
options making Bash less likely to blow something up if a step in the
middle is broken or if you overwrite a file you shouldn't be overwriting.

[1] Bash Stringent.sh -- https://github.com/pottmi/stringent.sh
copy to a system-wide place (/etc/ perhaps) and include thusly:

#!/bin/bash
source /etc/stringent.sh || exit 1
# your code to follow.

--