scripting languages

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 12:17:13 MST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> Perl should never be a first language.

I thought it was established that the original poster at least knows
PHP already, so he has already been "mentally mutilated beyond hope of
regeneration," as Dijkstra put it.  Perl should definitely be learned
along with some sort of "best practices" text, though.

> Bash should never be used to build anything large.

My definition of large in this context is 'bigger than a single screen
of code'.  I hate shell script.

> Python is more popular than Ruby.

Justin Bieber is more popular than Lady Gaga, or so someone on the
Internet told me.

> So I recommend standardizing on Python but allowing other languages when
> they make more sense.

If you're in the position to "standardize" a group on something, you
should not be asking the sort of questions the original poster was,
but in case you are, Python will probably keep you from shooting
yourself in the foot too badly.  It's really more suited for systems
programming of the sort you'd do as part of an organized team that
would need to standardize on something, though, rather than a guy who
wants to take his sysadmin skills to the next level.  I guess more
context as to what kind of system administration job this is for would
be helpful in making a determination as to what tool would be best.

        --Levi