scripting languages

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Nov 8 11:56:04 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 09:23 -0700, Victor Villa wrote:
> As I learn Bash i'm finding more and more that knowledge of a scripting
> language is needed, though i'm seeing some talk about PERL and some talk
> Python.

In my opinion, all experienced systems administrators should know four
languages. Bash, Perl, Python, and Ruby.

Bash because it embody the whipitupitude nature.

Perl because it's what all the old school admins have been using for
ages. Alot of good tools are written in Perl.

Python because it's more structured, and all the PFY's are using it.

Ruby because of Puppet. Seriously. Puppet is so awesome it should be in
every sysadmin's tool belt. Being able to extend Puppet is enough reason
to learn Ruby.

> If my work environment really hasn't taken advantage of a scripting language
> (nothing predefined), which should I choose?  PERL or Python?

Sounds like you shop doesn't have admins with a lot of coding
experience.

Perl should never be a first language.

Bash should never be used to build anything large.

Python is more popular than Ruby.

So I recommend standardizing on Python but allowing other languages when
they make more sense.