scripting languages

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 8 10:13:21 MST 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:55:24 -0700
Victor Villa <vvilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought about that, but then though, "When in Rome, do as the
> Romans do." If PHP is a common scripting language for the sys admin
> world (and truthfully speaking, I don't know), then i'd be lucky as
> I'm already there. But if it isn't, I'd want to go to a language that
> is an industry standard.

Quite right. So far as I know, it isn't.

The few places I've seen it used were in web shops that already used
PHP, so the staff knew they had the skill to maintain it, and they knew
any machine they worked on would have it.

Romans, however, didn't program in C. Not having any 0, they had no way
to properly terminate a string.