scripting languages

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 8 10:09:21 MST 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:23:24 -0700
Victor Villa <vvilla at gmail.com> wrote:

> If my work environment really hasn't taken advantage of a scripting
> language (nothing predefined), which should I choose?  PERL or Python?

Pick the one most suitable for the job at hand. This may be a matter of
which has the most suitable librar[y|ies] for the job.

You will also find that shops standardize on one or two languages, and
that's what you use unless (if your are lucky) you can make a darn
good case for another. Programs that are expected to be around for a
while must be maintainable, which means using a language everyone else
in the shop knows. So in short, it won't hurt you to be proficient in
both.

A good reason to be proficient in several languages is that as you
learn different ones, you can abstract out the basic concepts of
computer languages, and that helps you learn the next one. So if you
want to gain that abstraction, I recommend learning at least five.