scripting languages

Corey Edwards tensai at
Mon Nov 8 10:03:52 MST 2010

On 11/08/2010 09:23 AM, Victor Villa wrote:
> Greets,
> I recently shifted career focus from web dev to sys admin.
> As I learn Bash i'm finding more and more that knowledge of a scripting
> language is needed, though i'm seeing some talk about PERL and some talk
> Python.

I love Bash, especially the for and while operators. It has limitations
though so you'll definitely need something else in your tool kit.

> If my work environment really hasn't taken advantage of a scripting language
> (nothing predefined), which should I choose?  PERL or Python?

Either is fine. As Michael said, you'll need to be able to read both.

Somebody I know once gave a great presentation about using Perl for sys
admin tasks. It's unfortunate that UTOS DNS is down or you could review it.