scripting languages

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 09:44:50 MST 2010

On 11/08/2010 09:23 AM, Victor Villa wrote:
> I recently shifted career focus from web dev to sys admin.
>
> As I learn Bash i'm finding more and more that knowledge of a scripting
> language is needed, though i'm seeing some talk about PERL and some talk
> Python.
>
> If my work environment really hasn't taken advantage of a scripting language
> (nothing predefined), which should I choose?  PERL or Python?

You will likely need to read and maintain both languages.  A lot of
scripts out there are in Perl that you'll likely need to use and
possibly modify and update.  On the other hand, a lot of new scripting
is being done in Python.  So whichever one you choose to write your own
scripts in, you will probably have to deal with others' scripts written
in both languages.

Here's one reason I prefer to use python for all my sysadmin scripts:
http://www.dabeaz.com/generators/