Bringing in the Sheep: the FireSheep firestorm

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Nov 4 14:36:20 MDT 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 14:12:27 -0600
Merrill Oveson <moveson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does it only involve wireless traffic?

I don't see why it would not work on a wired LAN run by a hub, but
haven't done the experiment.

The reason I specify "hub" is that one difference between a hub and a
switch is that a hub simply propagates data that comes in on one port
to all other ports. A switch only propagates an incoming packet to the
next port on that packet's journey, e.g. the firewall. Since the swithc
operates at the Ethernet level, it should hide Internet traffic from
the other machines on the LAN.