Squid woes

Richard Esplin richard-lists at esplins.org
Sat Mar 27 12:57:24 MDT 2010

Adding those two lines to my squid.conf appears to have fixed both of my problems. Both Fox.com and IBM Developerworks function great now.

I am surprised that IBM's site appears to be doing funny things when you use a proxy.

Thank you for the help!

Now if I could just get Hulu to stop blocking my IP . . .

Richard

On Sat 27 March 2010 12:35:46 Jon Jensen <jon at endpoint.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Richard Esplin wrote:
>
> > Hulu tells me:
> > "Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu
> > through an anonymous proxy tool."
> >
> > By the way, after enough errors at Hulu it appears that they permanently
> > block you. I now get the same error with Squid disabled, and I get no
> > response from their support team.
> >
> > At first I thought it was the Via header, so I disabled it. It doesn't
> > solve the error.
>
> If you want Squid to be completely transparent, I think you need to strip
> at least these two headers in squid.conf:
>
> header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
> header_access Via deny all
>
> There are probably still tricky ways to tell there's a proxy in the
> middle, but X-Forwarded-For and Via are the standard ways to check.
>
> Jon
<snip>