Squid woes

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Sat Mar 27 12:35:46 MDT 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Richard Esplin wrote:

> Hulu tells me:
> "Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu
> through an anonymous proxy tool."
>
> By the way, after enough errors at Hulu it appears that they permanently
> block you. I now get the same error with Squid disabled, and I get no
> response from their support team.
>
> At first I thought it was the Via header, so I disabled it. It doesn't
> solve the error.

If you want Squid to be completely transparent, I think you need to strip
at least these two headers in squid.conf:

header_access X-Forwarded-For deny all
header_access Via deny all

There are probably still tricky ways to tell there's a proxy in the
middle, but X-Forwarded-For and Via are the standard ways to check.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation