Cypress USB device from Windows to Linux

Levi Pearson levipearson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:23:49 MDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:

> I don't really know where to get started. Can anyone recommend a starting
> point? Books? Other resources? General advice?

Are you new to writing kernel code in general, or just USB drivers?
If you're new to kernel code, you would probably benefit from a book
that gives an overview of how the kernel works and how to write
drivers.  However, I have no idea what's up-to-date now since I
haven't worked on Linux drivers in a few years.  Ultimately, you'll
want to find a simple USB driver that's as similar to what you're
using hardware-wise and use it as an example to implement your driver.
 There's no substitute in kernel hacking for walking the code, as the
kernel is an ever-changing system with no fixed internal APIs.

        --Levi