ssl

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:50:33 MDT 2010

Merrill Oveson wrote:
> OK, thanks a million!
>
> Just a couple of other questions...
>
> Is there anything magic about where the key, csr and crt files are stored?

No.

> Does the website look for these files on my server (if so how or
> where), or does it rely on godaddy.com?

Yes.  See your config files for your web server and they will tell you
where to place them.  On RHEL or Fedora, check /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf

On RHEL5, they recommend you place the key in /etc/pki/tls/private and
the crt file and the certificate chain files in /etc/pki/tls/certs.

Note that you will need to tell apache about the signing authority
chain.  This is essentially a list of who trusts who and is required for
some reason or else your cert will not be seen as valid by the web browsers.

My apache config has these three settings in it:

SSLCertificateFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/<yourcert>.crt
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/pki/tls/private/<yourkey>.key
SSLCertificateChainFile /etc/pki/tls/certs/gd_intermediate_bundle.crt

The gd_intermediate_bundle.crt is provided by godaddy.